Wednesday, April 22, 2015

DREAM not Nightmare

The DREAM Act is an American legislative proposal that guarantees undocumented immigrants the right to pay in-state college tuition if they graduate from a Texas high school after attending three consecutive years.

There are numerous people that are against this and Texas: All or Nothing makes an excellent criticism in "Keep the DREAMers Dreaming" about the way the people who are in opposition to this law think about. Texas: All or Nothing is in favor of the DREAM Act and I support it as well. I believe that there is no need, or actually a good reason for some people in the Texas legislature to want to deprive students from getting higher level education. These people's arguments will eventually cause more harm to the state. This law allows more people to be educated and that is, in no way, something bad for the economy of the state.

There are so many students that depend on this law and without it it would just be impossible for them to get a higher education. I am somehow related to this issue. I am an international student from Mexico City and I live here under a F1 type student visa. However, I did the last three years of high school in The Woodlands, Texas, This allows me to pay resident tuition and without it I would not be able to get my education at a Texas university. As a person who lived in Mexico for 16 years, I am sure to say that most of the undocumented students from my country, would not be able to get a higher education back in their hometowns at all. There is only a few public universities in Mexico and they are either bad or impossible to get in. Most of the people who go to a university in Mexico is because they can afford to go to a private school (which costs about the same as an out-of-state tuition at the University of Texas). 

Texas: All or Nothing could not have said it better: "Why mess with one's education?", this would just create more problems in our society and, in the long run, would hurt the state of Texas' economy.


No comments: